RSS

Because of Winn Dixie by Kate DiCamillo

Since Kate DiCamillo has taught and is a benefactress of my University I am hesitant to analyze this book too deeply. That said, I will say that this is my least favorite of her books. Perhaps it is my clear dislike for strange animals with weird powers, I can do a talking mouse in Brian Jacques fashion, but a dog who might or might nor have magical powers along with strange candy, was a little much for me.

This book holds a strange dichotomy between a melancholy tone and that of a very hopeful and magical one. The main character deals with many hard things, but I think it is wrong to think that middle readers wouldn’t understand. In an age where more and more children are having to deal with divorce, abandonment, love, and bullies, this book is a perfect book about reality with a dash of magic. DiCamillo is great at weaving the characters together using a single factor, Winn-Dixie, and although the book may seem a bit preachy at times, it’s lessons are what makes the book so endearing to children. It is my hope that DiCamillo's readers will continue to read more of her books, particulary the Tale of Despereaux because I found that character far more enthralling than Winn-Dixie.

0 comments: