RSS

My reading highlights of 2009

(idea borrowed from another blog)

Books That Made Me Laugh Out Loud:

The Schwa Was Here by Neal Shusterman

The True Meaning of Smekday by Adam Rex

New-To-Me Series That On One Hand I'm Glad To Have Found, But On The Other, I'm Seriously Horrified That I'd Missed Out On Until Now:

Sabriel by Garth Nix

Lirael by Garth Nix

Abhorsen by Garth Nix

The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan

Sequel Happiness:

Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins

Hunger by Michael Grant

Book That Made Me Crave Food:

Julie and Julia by Julie Powell

Most Enjoyably Bad Book:

Al Capone Does My Shirts by Gennifer Choldenko

Forgettable Plot Saved By a Fresh, Honest Voice:

Surviving the Applewhites by Stephanie Tolan

Book I Was Most Surprised By:

Princess Academy by Shannon Hale

Made of Pure Awesome:

Rules by Cynthia Lord

Stoner & Spaz by Ron Koertge

The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman

Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

Best Book Hidden Under the Worst Cover:

Prism by Faye Kellerman

More Adorable Than Sparkling Puppies:

Judy Moody by Megan McDonald

YA Book Most Likely to be Loved By Adults More Than Actual YAs:

Marcelo in the Real World by Francisco Stork

Biggest Disappointment:

Un Lun Dun by China Mieville

Books that Invoked Irrationally Violent Emotions in me:

Speak by Laurie Halse Andersen

Unlikely Disciple by Kevin Roose (I do read non-fiction sometimes)

Books I Loved For Their Imperfect Heroines:

Antsy Does Time by Neal Shusterman

Diary of a Wimpy Kid by Jeff Kinney

Best Vampire Book For Twilight-Haters:

Eternal by Cynthia Leitich Smith

Worthy of the Hype:

Leviathan by Scott Westerfeld

Favorite Roadtrip Book (and MAN, there were a lot of them!):

Kingdom Keepers by Ridley Pearson

Best Action/Adventure Book:

The Maze Runner by James Dashner

Books that were weird just to be weird:

The Black Tattoo by Sam Enthoven

Un Lun Dun by China Meiville

Sci-fi's that made me think there is still a future for this genre (future, get it):

The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness

Unwind by Neal Shusterman

Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

The Maze Runner by James Dashner

Books I lent out to people multiple times:

Cold Comfort Farm by Stella Gibbons

The Thief by Megan Whalen Turner

Jumper by Steven Gould


Have a question about this list. Wonder why I loved or hated a book? Feel free to ask.

3 comments:

Anne Ursu said...

Sabriel was one of the first fantasies I read as an adult. I love those books and need to reread them. And tell me about your reaction to Speak?

Have you read Going Bovine?

Also, please go to the Hamline blog now and tell me your top ten lifetime MG!

Marsha Qualey said...

Venus, what a nice way to do an end of a year list. I just read Marcello... and had that same reaction. As for the earlier Skin Hunger post--can't wait until we're all talking about the book at residency.

And I guess I should go to the Hamline blog and do a MG List before Anne orders me around too.

Anne Ursu said...

It would probably be more of a gentle request, Marsha.