RSS

Illustrator of the Week - Bernice Myers


As I was cleaning out my shed in preperation for a move and yard sale, I ran across a box of books my mother had set aside. These books she fondly refers to as her "Grandma Books". These books were hers when she was a little girl. When she grew up she read the book to me and my brothers. In turn she hopes that she can read them to her grandchildren and perhaps, if we love them as much as she does, we will read them to our granchildren and so on and so on. Sadly, many of those books are falling apart, having lost their covers or even entire pages over the years because we do in fact love them. Perhaps one of the favorites of my brothers was How Joe the Bear and Sam the Mouse Got Together. Part of the reason for this is because my mother used to change the characters names for my brothers. It is known in my house as How Nathan the Bear and Sam the Mouse Got Together.

So today's illustrator is in honor of that book. All hail Bernice Myers, whose books live on in my family and perhaps yours.



















1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the work of Bernice Myers and if you are interested you can find out a little more about her more graphic styles here on my blog
http://www.fishinkblog.wordpress.com/2012/12/21/bernice-myers-talented-mid-century-illustrator-of-childrens-books/ Hope this is useful, Great posting.