RSS

Bad Bye, Good Bye by Deborah Underwood Book Review

Bad Bye, Good Bye by Deborah Underwood
Illustrations by Johnathan Bean
Publisher: HMH Books for Young Readers
Release Date: April 1, 2014

Moving is never easy, especially for kids. Bad trucks, bad moving guys, bad waves, and bad byes. However, at the end of that long drive is another place full of new friends, fireflies, and climbing trees.

As a person who moved almost nine times before I was nine, I appreciate a good moving story. In fact, this story brought back memories of one of those scary moves where we moved a couple states away. I remember not feeling well, mild depression, anger, crying, and a whole range of emotions in between. After not acclimating well to my new home, there were numerous tear-filled moments where I would tell my parents that I just wanted to move back home. It took many many years for my new home to really feel like that and another big move before I realized how much I had grown to like my adopted state.

The anxiety of moving, even for a child, can be considerable and anything to help alleviate some of those fears is much needed. This book handles it with understanding and clarity in a way that even a young child can understand and relate to.

0 comments: