RSS

Blizzard by John Rocco Book Review


Blizzard by John Rocco
Publisher: Disney-Hyperion
Release Date: October 30, 2014

The years is 1978 and John Rocco's family experiences a major blizzard, one that dumps 53 inches of snow on his town in Rhode Island. Too deep to even open the front door, they have to crawl out the windows. Cars are buried. School is cancelled. Neighbors can't get to the store. John comes up with a plan for walking in the snow and become the neighborhood hero.

Because I write these reviews weeks before they post, I really hope that this posts while there is substantial amounts of snow near me. Considering I live in NC, most likely we will have an ice storm, but I can still hope for snow. Yes, I am one of those. I adore snow, even as an adult, and don't see it as the horrible travesty that everyone else seems to think it is. Even when I lived up north, snow and me were best buds. (ask my mom about the Boston Christmas Parade during a snowstorm)

Perhaps that is why I really embraced this book. It brought back very fond memories of childhood. Tunneling through the snow, being out all day in it, sled riding. With sparse text and beautiful illustrations John encapsulates the terrible beauty that this blizzard brought to his town. The reader is meant to understand that this isn't just some snow, this is the mother of all snowstorms. This is too much snow. The added element of ingenuity and neighbors helping neighbors is also a nice touch, one that links the struggle between man and nature.




0 comments: