RSS

Around the Clock by Roz Chast Book Review

Around the Clock by Roz Chast
Publisher: Atheneum Books for Young Readers
Release Date: January 13, 2015

Do you ever wonder what your friends, enemies, brothers, sisters, and parents are doing at all hours of the day? Well, From 12 to 1/ Lynn eats baloney/With her imaginary friend, Tony. And From 1 to 2/in his fanciest pants/Don is digging a hole to France. A very silly 24-hour round-the-clock look at all the silly things people do throughout their day.

I originally picked up this book because I love Roz Chast's illustrations. I think I fell in love with her completely when I picked up a copy of Cold Comfort Farm with her illustrations on the cover. (Someone has my copy of this book by the way and I want it back) That said, this book was a bit of a disappointment. Although her illustrations are there with their usual playful pizazz, the story itself was lacking. The poems were rudimentary and boring. There was no throughline or shtick that made the story feel circular, like a clock. We weren't following one family or making our way around the world. It was just very random things happening at times that may or may not be random. I still love Roz Chast, but I don't think this is one of her best.




0 comments: