RSS

A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to School by Davide Cali Book Review

A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to School by Davide Cali
Illustrations by Benjamin Chaud
Publisher: Chronicle Books
Release Date: March 3, 2015

It begins with giant ants stealing breakfast. From their the excuses devolve into evil ninjas, massive ape, mysterious mole people, and giant blobs. But none of these are the real reason why this kid is late.

It's the classic story of excuses. Just like the-dog-ate-my-homework these tales prove to be more and more preposterous and for the young reader they are left wondering how much of it is true. The text alone is not terribly exciting, with a basic storyline that has been done a thousand times. What I enjoyed are the retro illustrations that reminded me of the books my mother used to read us from the 60s and 70s. I do wish the format of the book had been a bit larger though, typical picture book size, because it would have been great to see the illustrations in a way that didn't feel so compressed. The book had a bit of surreal feeling to it due to the illustrations, I only wish the text itself evoked the same feeling.


1

0 comments: