RSS

My Cousin Momo by Zachariah OHora Book Review

My Cousin Momo by Zachariah OHora
Publisher: Dial Books
Release Date: June 2, 2015

Momo is coming to visit, and his cousins are SO excited! But even though Momo is a flying squirrel, he won't fly for his cousin’s friends. Plus, his games are weird. He can't even play hide and seek right! But when Momo's cousins give his strange ways a chance, they realize that doing things differently can be fun...almost as much fun as making a new friend.

For this story I found the retro art and color pallete far more interesting than the story itself. Whether it was Momo dressed as a muffin or the awesome treehouse, I found each spread to be beautifully illustrated and occasionally surprising. Also, doesn't this squirrel look kind of like Luke Wilson in Royal Tannenbaums? The story itself felt a bit week, with the crux of the story focusing on being different and yourself, which is a great sentiment but logically didn't pan out for me seeing as Momo is a flying squirrel who doesn't like to fly. Perhaps this was to avoid showing off or wanted to be different in other ways, but I didn't see that as being himself. Cute book, but not a standout for me.





0 comments: