RSS

Worm Loves Worm by J.J. Austrian Book Review

Worm Loves Worm by J.J. Austrian 
Illustrations by Mike Curato
Publisher: Balzer + Bray
Release Date: January 5, 2016

You are cordially invited to celebrate the wedding of a worm and a worm. Of course, once their friends find out they are getting married, it turns out there are a lot of expectations. A ceremony, a cake, an officiator. And who is going to the bride? Or the groom? The answer is: It doesn't matter. Because Worm Loves Worm.

A simple story with a big message, this book manages to talk about gender, sexuality, and traditions in a way that is entirely age appropriate. As someone who didn't do all the "traditional" wedding things that some people thought we should, I understand the societal and familial expectations of doing something the way it has always been done. Beyond that though is also the message of equality. For the parents who don't like to discuss these kinds of issues with small children, I don't think this book is for you or your little ones. I for one love that it exists though. There is so much to talk about here, but I think you should just go read it for yourself.

Quick note: J.J. Austrian is a graduate from Hamline University's MFA program and I am proud that he attended my school although I have never met him, which makes me sad, but very proud to be part of a program that is helping mentor such wonderful writers.



1 comments:

Jilanne Hoffmann said...

Great review! This sounds like something we should have at our school. Thanks!