RSS

Finding Wild by Megan Wagner Lloyd Book Review

Finding Wild by Megan Wagner Lloyd
Illustrations by Abigail Halpin
Publisher: Knopf Books for Young Readers
Release Date: May 10, 2016

Two kids set off on an adventure away from their homes and discover the beauty of the natural world. Sudden storms, fire, flowers, snowflakes. As the children make their way through the woods, they find that the wild can exist even in their own backyard.

My husband always makes fun of me because I call the area behind my parents' house "the woods". In truth I am a city mouse and those "woods" are actually about 20 feet thick and you can see the backyard of the neighbor behind them. Yet, to us children, it was nature. We found moles and rabbits in there. A bird feeder hung nearby. My younger brothers would climb the trees and helped my dad build a shed tucked into the trees. A hammock is strung up in their shade. It isn't a forest, but it was out little bit of nature.

A beautifully illustrated story about the wonders of the natural world that can be found far and near, this book has boundless applications. Perfect for city kids, story times, nature unit studies, art, and class room, I love a story that encourages children to look for the beauty in the world around them.

0 comments: