RSS

Goodbye Summer, Hello Autumn by Kenard Pak Book Review

Goodbye Summer, Hello Autumn by Kenard Pak
Publisher: Henry Holt & Co.
Release Date: August 16, 2016

As trees sway in the cool breeze, blue jays head south, and leaves change their colors, everyone knows--autumn is on its way!

Although you wouldn't know it around here in NC, fall began on September 21. Temperatures in NC today are expected to be 88 degrees, which is just ridiculous when you are the kind of person who loves cold weather. This book made me yearn for the blustery days with a scarf and campfires. Living in an apartment complex, I miss watching the squirrels forage for nuts in our front yard as they did when I was a kid. Eagerly, I stare at the trees and wonder if I see a bit of a change in color, or is it my imagination. 

I know this book is supposed to be an introduction for young readers about the changing of a particular season, but I read it in an almost nostalgic way, hoping for the things outlined in its pages. Also, because I think we are still at a place where we need to point this out and praise it, the main character of this story is dark skinned. In a world where diverse books are still fighting for traction, it is important that the authors and publishers know that this is appreciated and we need more of it. 



0 comments: