RSS

The Ranger's Apprentice Series by John Flanagan

This is a series that I have really been enjoying. When I saw it was about Rangers, I assumed it would probably be a complete ripoff from Lord of the Rings (and even though it sort of was, it was pulled off all right) and the reference to "the protectors of the kingdom" on the back cover gave me a somewhat prejudiced notion that it was an idealist's story about the heroic saviors of what in the author's mind was some sort of medieval kingdom, but ended up as nothing of the sort. This very solid, well-written book displayed remarkable accuracy with respect to its portrayal of what I'll call "medieval life". Such accuracy is usually reserved for older readers.



The main character was immensely likable, not to mention well portrayed and tangible. Halt - who seems to be a fan favorite if reviews are any indication - is a bit too archetypal and at one point displays a remarkable departure from his "core identity". I'm referencing the scene where Horace faces his three tormentors. Halt actively encourages re
venge, and this - while certainly enjoyable - was shocking. Vigilante jus
tice doesn't fit his core identity.

Still, this book held its audience captive without the use of magic wands and incantations. That is perfect the best aspect. The author makes you feel magic where non can be found. It is grounded with a dash of history (for Skandia could easily be Skandinavia), some fantastical characters, and I have enjoyed all four books.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

To my clearly young reader Nick - chill out...I like the books and own them all and if you don't like my reviews then so be it, but calling me names will never get your comments added.

Anonymous said...

I LOVED THIS BOOK!!!

Anonymous said...

they are all great,especialy the thing that Will is a small, weak kid,NOT the kind of hero you exept to meet when you see the book at first. Evanlyn is also great, not one of those pink princesses that are SO boring. In "the battle of Skandia" I like Erak with his great sense of humor(I know I can't write,you don't need to say it)

Anonymous said...

I love these books.
they are great choice for any reader

Crazy Granny said...

I'm a 60 year old grandma and I love these books. I've recommended them to many people of all ages and will continue to do so.

Anonymous said...

the books are good but you'll now whats going to happen i think there are to many

Anonymous said...

I LOVE THE BOOK AND OWN EVERY ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THE THING THAT UPSETS ME IS THAT PEOPLE ALWAYS TALK ABOUT EVANLYN BUT FOR SOME REAAON SHE ANNOYS ME. WHY CAN'T PEOPLE TALK ABOUT MY FAVORITE CHARACTER ALYSS??

Anonymous said...

agreed about the evalyne - alyss thisng

Anonymous said...

It is evanlyn not evelyne
But I agree about the alyss thing