RSS

Forgotten Author of the Week - Doris Herold Lund


My mother read books to me all the time when I was little. Library books, books from the bookstore, hand-me-downs, but none were as special as my mother's books. The books that had been hers when she was little. Her bookshelf was lined with these "ancient" tomes and are the direct reason for these forgotten author of the week. These were books that I love and remember fondly. I want you to fall in love with them as well. Perhaps you will see these books at a garage sale or at your library, slightly beat up and forgotten. If you are inspired enough, perhaps you will order them.

Doris Herold Lund wrote many children's book, but the one I remember the most was The Attic of the Wind. A sweet little tale about what happens to your 
lost things. 





What happens to things that blow away,
Like bubbles you blew one sunny day?
Where did they all go anyway?
To the Attic of the Wind.
It's not an Attic you reach by stair--
It's past the clouds and the stars somewhere!
And what will we find if we play up there
In the Attic of the Wind?

Lund started her writing career as a freelancer, contributing articles and stories to Reader's Digest, Ladies Home Journal and Good Housekeeping. She published eight popular children's books, including "Attic in the Wind," which sold over 1 million copies.

When her son Eric died of leukemia, Lund wrote a nonfiction book about his battle with the disease. "Eric" was published in 1974, and was eventually printed in 20 languages. Two years later, CBS aired a Hallmark TV movie based on her book, starring Patricia Neil, Claude Akins and Mark Hamill.

"I knew I was watching something unusually courageous. Being a writer, you take things in and regurgitate them automatically. I knew I was privileged," Lund once said.

0 comments: