RSS

Book of the Week - Ni Hao, Kai-Lan


This isn't so much a book review as much as a book introduction and discussion piece. I ran across this series as I was shelving. Produced by Nick Jr., the same people who bring us Dora the Explorer and Yo Gabba Gabba, have brought us a new character: Ni Hao, Kai-lan. The show has been airing for a year and a half now, so I assume those with young children would be familiar with it. For me it is new, as the book products are just now rolling into bookstores.

Ni Hao, Kai-lan introduces its viewers to the Mandarin Chinese language, along with elements of Chinese culture and values, multiculturalism (through the diverse backgrounds of Kai-lan's friends), and intergenerational families (like Kai-lan and her relationship with Ye Ye).

Some of the books I have seen so far:
Meet Kai-lan
Happy Chinese New Year Kai-lan
The Dragon Dance
Kai-lan and the Ladybug Festival
Kai-lan's Trip to China
Kai-lan and the Dragon Boat Festival

For my readers who are Asian-American, I wonder what you think of such a series of books and tv. From my perspective, I think it is exciting to see Asian-Americans represented to such young readers and is easily accessible to those of all races and ethnicities. Perhaps because I have participated in Dragon Boat races, that is my favorite book so far. What do you think of this series? Are these books that you would buy for your children? If yes, why?

0 comments: