RSS

My Teacher Is a Monster! by Peter Brown Book Review

My Teacher Is a Monster! (No, I Am Not) by Peter Brown
Publisher: Little, Brown Book for Young Readers
Release Date: July 1, 2014

Bobby has a problem. His teacher is a monster. That is, until he sees her one day outside of school. Despite the awkwardness, Bobby begins to see his teacher in a new light, one that makes her a little less monster-like.

I had a fourth grade teacher who I couldn't stand. To this day, I still think of her in a very negative light, despite the fact that I learned a lot of really important things that I use to this day. I can still recite all the president's names as well as all hundred counties in my state thanks to her. She also instilled in me a love for cursive and fierce academic competitiveness. That last bit could be both good and bad.

Therefore, I completely understand Bobby's plight.  Although I was never able to discover the truth behind my 4th grade teacher's surliness, I must assume that outside of school she was probably a much more interesting (and not so scary) person. As with many Peter Brown's books, there is a limited color pallet within the illustrations, but these give them an almost classic feeling, reminiscent of the sixties.

0 comments: