RSS

Tombquest: Valley of the Kings by Michael Northrop Book Review

Tombquest: Valley of the Kings by Michael Northrop
Publisher: Scholastic Press
Release Date: August 11, 2015

In this third installment of the TombQuest series, Alex, Ren, and Alex's cousin Lucas are in Egypt trying to stop the Death Walkers. However, treachery and sabotage lurk around every corner. After a series of missteps in Cairo, the children head to the famed Valley of the Kings looking for Alex's mom. What they find instead of a very much alive mummy King and a Death Walker who will burn anyone who ventures too close.

I have said this before and I will say it again, Michael Northrop knows how to write a good action adventure tale. Leaving off from book two, I was thankful for a little bit of backstory as it had been a little while since I read the first two in the series. It didn't take me long to catch on though. At its heart, this really is pure unadulterated adventure, but Northrop doesn't skimp on character development either. Alex, who has been ill most of his life, is really beginning to enjoy his newfound health and is relishing every moment of it. Ren struggles greatly with how to use her Talisman as she has always resisted magic, leaning more heavily on logic. The idea that there is magic and she can use it really bothers her, unlike Alex and Todtman who have embraced it fully.

As an avid Egyptology enthusiast, I loved that they were now in Egypt and especially loved the Valley of the Kings. In fact, it got me so excited about it again that I have watched a couple of documentaries again regarding the subject, but I just love it so much.

These books are perfect for the adventure lover and anyone obsessed with Ancient Egypt.

0 comments: